The PTWA Geriatric Special Interest Group (GSIG) was approved by PTWA members at the 2017 PTWA Chapter Meeting held in October. The goal of the GSIG is to provide a means by which PTWA PT and PTA members who have a common interest in geriatrics may share information, have a platform to access current guidelines/research on best practice, and meet and promote the interests of its membership, the chapter, the APTA and our profession.
- Provide a platform for professional interaction between PTs and PTAs within the state of Washington and across multiple practice settings.
- Provide a platform for discussion of current topics and issues concerning the geriatric physical therapy community.
- Participate in events promoting geriatric physical therapy care and APTA membership.
- Represent the interests of GSIG members before the official decision-making bodies of the chapter, APTA and other components.
- Provide a platform for accessing local resources within our state that support healthy aging.
- Networking with professionals in your state with a common interest in geriatrics.
- Opportunities to find community organizations to best support the care of our aging adults.
- Receive important information about the workings of your state chapter.
- Receive important information to support effective, evidence-based physical therapy care for our rapidly growing aging adult population in an ever-changing healthcare system.
We look forward to your/PTWA support and participation with this group. Best practice and care for our patients is first on our mind.